Tuesday 14 July 2015

Medieval Festival 2015 : Osgoode Kingdom

     My family went to the 8th annual Osgoode Medieval Festival this weekend, and had a lot of fun!

This was a demonstration of daily life in Medieval times.
This guy was cooking chicken stew, and had just finished
making curds & whey.

When we first got to the Medieval Festival, I noticed that a lot of people had dressed up. There was someone dressed up as Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, the Sheriff of Nottingham, a King, many Knights, and people dressed up for Medieval daily life. I thought Friar Tuck's costume was pretty neat because he was carrying around a cup made from a hollowed bull horn. Someone (I'm pretty sure he was an outlaw) had a leather quiver and bow and many arrows. I have a trunk that my grandad made, full of costumes. It's so full, you can't close it. I wish that I'd worn a costume, but dad said that I would be too hot. I hope it's not too hot next year, so I can wear a costume too!

Dad bought my brother and I shields at the festival.

Here I am, protecting my brother from a dragon!
  
     Man, it was a hot afternoon and there was lots to see and experience at the Osgoode "Kingdom" Medieval festival. When we arrived, the trebuchet event was about to happen in the far field. Someone announced that it was once used to knock down castle walls. This trebuchet threw a rock across the field. We went to see the trebuchet up close and met a person named Matlock, who made arrows and he showed us the arrows that he made. There is a guy named Duncan, who also wants to make an arrow! That's for another blog post! Next, we went to a large model castle with a dress-up centre, a dungeon, a dining room and sleeping quarters. I thought the dungeon was realistic, but I wouldn't want to be in shackles!
 
My friend "skelly" is with me in the dungeon.
 
 Finally, there was a REAL jousting tournament with the Knights of Valour. The knights' names were (from A-Z) Sir Chaton, Sir Tiberius from Kanata (he won!) and Sir Zachary. It was the biggest event, and the last event of the day. After that, we were ready to come home and have popsicles and lots of water on the deck. I'm really excited for next year's festival!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Dad! Did you notice my "sequence" words!?
      (e.g. first, next, then, finally)

      Delete
  2. I love your blog about the festival Duncan and am so glad you enjoyed yourself. I really liked the comments about the castle and the dungeon. I hope you come back next year to enjoy more of the festival and keep writing in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog! I will definately come back to the festival next year!

      - Duncan

      Delete